Fancy beaches, nature, mountains and hiking? All this is possible in Tayrona Park! Yes, it is the most visited park in Colombia, that’s why we come to your aid, by giving you our advice to be able to enjoy the park in all tranquillity and to avoid the busy periods.
In this article we also tell you about the little treasures you will find around the park, such as the lost mini city of Taironaka, the village of Palomino or the isolated beach of Los Naranjos. Get ready for an unforgettable trip to the Caribbean coast, where you can sail, snorkel and trek!
Treks in Tayrona Park
The main trail from the entrance of Zaino to Cabo San Juan is a beautiful walk through the forest and along the beach, where you are sure to see monkeys and birds of all kinds.
A little SPORT! Several treks are possible in the Tayrona park. You can reach the archaeological site Pueblito, a kind of mini city lost in the forest, with beautiful viewpoints
- 1h30 walk from Cabo San Juan.
Looking for some peace and quiet? Another trek in the Tayrona Park is possible, following the Path of the Nine Stones, “Sendero de las nueve piedras“. This trail takes you to beautiful viewpoints and beautiful, lonely beaches, through the forest. It’s not well known and so you’ll be fine, just take longer to get to Cabo San Juan.
Beach and relaxation in Tayrona Park
From the El Zaino entrance to Tayrona Park, there are three beaches where you can swim.
- The first is La Piscinita beach, a small beach at the foot of the Ecohabs. Quite quiet, it is located just after Cañaveral beach, before the path that leads to the other beaches.
- The second is La Piscina. 40 minutes before Cabo San Juan, it is a long beach and very pleasant, the water is crystal clear and there are usually not too many people.
- The third is the most famous beach, Cabo San Juan del Guía. This beach is divided into two small bays and is superb. It is the emblem of the Tayrona park, where it is good to swim in a paradisiacal setting. Unfortunately, it is also the most populated beach, with a large campsite right next to it. You won’t be alone!
The most beautiful beaches in Tayrona Park
Tayrona Park is a magical place where you can find the most beautiful beaches in Colombia, sometimes even in South America!
- Arrecifes is an exotic and wild beach between turquoise waters, white sand and virgin forest. You will pass by Arrecifes to reach the beaches where you can swim, you will have a superb view on this beach with volcanic rocks, breathtaking!
- La Piscina is a beautiful and pleasant beach where you can swim, it is the ideal place for snorkeling just before Cabo San Juan.
- Cabo San Juan is the most emblematic beach of Tayrona Park, between white sand and ancestral volcanic rocks. In spite of the crowd, we recommend you to take a look at it!
- Boca de Saco is the nudist beach of Tayrona Park. Quite quiet due to its reputation, it remains wild, a few steps from Cabo San Juan. We recommend it if you are looking for peace and quiet and are not bothered by nudity!
- Playa Brava is located 3 hours from the Calabazo entrance at the end of a wild trail. It is for us one of the most beautiful and wildest beaches of the park, where few tourists go. Take advantage of its campsite to sleep in a haven of peace in the middle of nature.
- Playa Cristal is the most beautiful beach after Cabo San Juan, an ideal place if you want to dive or snorkel. You can get there by boat from Taganga or Santa Marta. Beware of the influx of tourists in high season.
- Bahia Concha, with its calm waters and quiet beach in a beautiful setting, offers a relaxing day on a less touristy beach, where you can enjoy good grilled fish in the company of locals and take refuge in the shade of a tree at the end of the beach.
What to see around Tayrona Park?
Looking for nature and calm? You will find this small river, which runs down to the sea, to the west of Tayrona Park. It forms multiple waterfalls along the way as well as natural pools where it is possible to swim.
Despite the influx of tourists, which is increasing every year. Palomino is a mystical and charming place, where you can surf and have fogatas (campfires). The atmosphere is relaxed, almost hippy.
It is a village still preserved from mass tourism, go there quickly!
Palomino is a small fishing village situated between the mountains and the sea. The deserted beaches stretch for miles and the beautiful tropical vegetation of the beaches make this place a small paradise.
Did you know? The population is made up of Caribs and indigenous people from the Sierra Nevada: Kogi, Arhuako, Wiwa and Kankuamo. It is also the only place where you can see the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta from the sea!
A piece of advice: Take a big half-day to go down the Rio don Diego in a buoy. It is for us one of the most magical experiences, close to the birds of the Sierra Nevada.
Barlovento – Los Naranjos
If you are looking for an exclusive experience on the Caribbean coast, you will find it in Barlovento. Casa Barlovento is a small house on Los Naranjos beach. Situated in the middle of a virgin landscape, far from the resorts and towns, it is a privileged place where you will find peace and serenity.
Just a few kilometres from Tayrona Park, you will enjoy the panoramic view of the cornice and the pristine beaches of the Caribbean Sea. Sleeping here is a unique experience where the ocean breeze is your blanket and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach is your soundtrack.
This is the ideal excursion if you don’t want to do the 4-5 day Ciudad Perdida trek but still want to see pre-Columbian sites. Located on the banks of the beautiful Rio Don Diego, the Taironaka reserve is a small Lost City (or Ciudad Perdida).
This archaeological site will show you the ancient Tayrona terraces. There is a museum and a guide will explain the traditions of the Kogi Indians, direct descendants of the Tayronas. This site is discovered in luxuriant vegetation, typical of the Sierra Nevada. It will also be a heavenly place to observe the birds of the region.
Visit Tayrona Park with Aventure Colombia
Treks, wild forest, beach and snorkel relaxation, boat … discover our list of activities to do in Tayrona Park.
- Arrecifes and Cabo San Juan: This is the classic but equally wonderful excursion in Tayrona Park that will take you to a magical place, between the mountains, the rainforest and the sea. You will discover the most beautiful white sand beaches of the country and ancestral volcanic stones bathed in the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean Sea.
- Pueblito and Cabo San Juan: For the more athletic, this is an intensive day of walking in Tayrona Park. You will hike through the rainforest to the archaeological site of Pueblito, in the footsteps of the ancient Tayrona civilization. Swim and then stroll along the beautiful, exotic beaches. Another option takes you to Pueblito from Arrecifes beach.
Playa Brava Trek – 2 days
This Playa Brava hike is an off-the-beaten track excursion. It will take you through the heart of the rainforest to Playa Brava. You will pass beautiful sacred waterfalls and exotic wild beaches, close to the local fauna, discovering a large number of birds. You will also go up to the archaeological site El Pueblito, a relic of the Tayrona civilization, a kind of mini lost city.
Diving in Tayrona Park
A diving session in the Tayrona Park is a unique experience that we recommend if you are a fan of this activity. You will dive in one of the best dive sites in the Colombian Caribbean. Our school is the only one authorized to dive in the heart of Tayrona Park. Take a 1, 2 or 3 day trip to a secluded paradise and dive in the best sites of the national park.
Between diving, snorkeling and relaxing in Playa del Amor, you will spend a dream time away from the touristy sites.
Sailing boat Tayrona
Sailing along the coast of Tayrona Park is an extraordinary experience offered to few travellers! You will sail on a beautiful sailboat from the coast of Santa Marta to the Tayrona Park. You will be able to snorkel and stop at quiet beaches away from the crowded ones. Your trip ends with a beautiful sunset over the Caribbean Sea: an unforgettable moment.
Day boat trip in Tayrona Park
A day trip by boat to Tayrona is without a doubt one of the most beautiful ways to discover Tayrona Park with a VIP visit on the Samoa, a fully equipped motor boat. You will be able to enjoy 2-3 beaches, only accessible by the sea and therefore very little frequented, where you will feel alone in the world, in paradisiacal settings.
Taganga is the hotspot for scuba diving and snorkelling. Discover all our excursion options to discover the superb seabed of the region in the Caribbean Sea. It is also possible to go deep-sea fishing with a local fisherman!
Contact a Travel Agent now
Design the trip of your dreams today with one of our country experts: